The passion
I just arrived back from watching the passion. It started at 4 and ended at 6, so dinner was over by the time I got back. But then again, I dont think I feel like eating just quite yet. After that movie, who could?
After watching the hotly debated movie, I must say: "It is good." I went in with an open mind. I was ready to accept it, and to bash it. I refuse to be one of those people, that just because a movie is about christ, have to like it. I have seen some terrible movies about Christ and some pretty good ones. I quite liked the low budget "Mathew" which contrary to its name is actually about Christ (the text of mathew narrates the story). "Mathew" has the best 'christ' that I have seen; Bruce Marchiano just oozes goodness without being weird. Anther good movie was "Barabbas," starring Anthony Quinn.
After hearing critics bash the film for a year now, I was ready to watch it and embrace it. Then then I watched as evangelical america went crazy over this film for the past couple of months. My disgust for fundamentalism almost turned me off seeing the movie at all, but fortunately I had to see it for media production class. It was pretty fantastic.
It is not for the light of heart. It was, without a doubt, the most grusome and violent movie I have ever seen; and I have seen many movies. Saving Private Ryan, Fight Club, Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, braveheart, and any other films that I can think of do not compare to the violence of this film. Blood, flesh, pus, and many other bodily fluids flow constently. To give you an idea of how graphic it is: you see a closeup of a nail as it is pounded into Jesus' hand, and you dont even think much about because you have been seeing him beaten for an hour and a half. Some people in the theatre got up and left. I mean, I have seen gore and horror movies that go to more... creative ways of showing exploding bodies, but the realism of this movie makes it all the more powerful.
After saying that, I must say, it was beautiful. The cinematography was amazing. The sounds and music were breathtaking. The special effects were fantastic. Even those who do not like the movie will be quick to admit that technically it is a work of art. Many of the scenes were based on classic works of art or art archtypes, the most noticible one in the movie being the Pietá at the end. Great job.
Theologically, there was nothing that I really disagreed with. It had a visible catholic influence, but I have always believed that they understood the passion better anyway. Don't ask me why, I dunno. Most religious art has been done by catholics. There was also an emphasis on Mary, which I loved. Made the film so much more visceral. Artistic liberties were taken when it came to demonic activities and... crows (you'll see). Nothing offended me though.
In short, Gibson has crafted a gut wrenching depiction of the last hours of christ. It is masterfully done, but is only for those who can stomach the violence. Do not take your sunday school class to view this film, just because it is Jesus, doesnt mean its not rated R.
After watching the hotly debated movie, I must say: "It is good." I went in with an open mind. I was ready to accept it, and to bash it. I refuse to be one of those people, that just because a movie is about christ, have to like it. I have seen some terrible movies about Christ and some pretty good ones. I quite liked the low budget "Mathew" which contrary to its name is actually about Christ (the text of mathew narrates the story). "Mathew" has the best 'christ' that I have seen; Bruce Marchiano just oozes goodness without being weird. Anther good movie was "Barabbas," starring Anthony Quinn.
After hearing critics bash the film for a year now, I was ready to watch it and embrace it. Then then I watched as evangelical america went crazy over this film for the past couple of months. My disgust for fundamentalism almost turned me off seeing the movie at all, but fortunately I had to see it for media production class. It was pretty fantastic.
It is not for the light of heart. It was, without a doubt, the most grusome and violent movie I have ever seen; and I have seen many movies. Saving Private Ryan, Fight Club, Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, braveheart, and any other films that I can think of do not compare to the violence of this film. Blood, flesh, pus, and many other bodily fluids flow constently. To give you an idea of how graphic it is: you see a closeup of a nail as it is pounded into Jesus' hand, and you dont even think much about because you have been seeing him beaten for an hour and a half. Some people in the theatre got up and left. I mean, I have seen gore and horror movies that go to more... creative ways of showing exploding bodies, but the realism of this movie makes it all the more powerful.
After saying that, I must say, it was beautiful. The cinematography was amazing. The sounds and music were breathtaking. The special effects were fantastic. Even those who do not like the movie will be quick to admit that technically it is a work of art. Many of the scenes were based on classic works of art or art archtypes, the most noticible one in the movie being the Pietá at the end. Great job.
Theologically, there was nothing that I really disagreed with. It had a visible catholic influence, but I have always believed that they understood the passion better anyway. Don't ask me why, I dunno. Most religious art has been done by catholics. There was also an emphasis on Mary, which I loved. Made the film so much more visceral. Artistic liberties were taken when it came to demonic activities and... crows (you'll see). Nothing offended me though.
In short, Gibson has crafted a gut wrenching depiction of the last hours of christ. It is masterfully done, but is only for those who can stomach the violence. Do not take your sunday school class to view this film, just because it is Jesus, doesnt mean its not rated R.
Comments