Look-forward-to's
It is 6th week (out of 8) of my second term. I know I should be focusing on my Shakespeare paper right now, but all I can think of is spring break. This term has been taxing, slow, and tedious. I hate winter. Unless I'm snowboarding. But I'm not.
Spring break is shaping up to look really cool. I am getting together with my friend Dave Macadam. He is a friend from Gordon who is studying in Madrid this semester. Last summer I told him that since we were both going to be in europe for spring break that we should travel together. Frankly, I didnt think it would happen, for it sounded like one of those plans that would be great but never end up working out. In part that is true, because some other people from Gordon talked about flying out and joining us, and they arent going to now, but Dave and I are still planning on it. Not only are we planning on it, we are acting on it. We bought our plane tickets today.
I get a whole month off for spring break. That is the way it works here, a month off, but then classes extend into mid june. Frankly, that is fine with me. I am going to need a break after this term. But anyhow, here is what I have planned:
-1st week: On the 15th of march I travel to Durham (northern england) to visit my friend kenny who is studying there. I return on the 19th.
-2nd week: I am back in Oxford and I am working the whole week. Earning the cash. Saving up the dough.
-3rd week: still working most of the week. I'll probably go back to spain on the 30th.
-4th week: Spain. See the friends. See the fam... though ironically my mom wont be there that week. sad.
-5th week: This is where it gets good. Dave and I have a plane ticket to Amsterdam on the 6th. Or return flight is for the 14th. What will we do with a week in Holland? Well Amsterdam alone is worth a couple of days from what I hear. It is supposed to be a vibrant city with great sights, museums and nigthlife (and no, I dont mean the red light district....pervs). The cool thing is that we are getting Benelux train passes. They are much like the Eurail passes only they just cover Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg. They give us 6 days of unlimited train travel to be used up in a month. I imagine that after a couple days in Amsterdam we will head down to Belgium, which seems to have even more sights to see than Holland does. Brussels, Brughes, and the Ardenees all seem worth my time, a day or two in each place. I cant wait to eat those tasty belgian french fries with mayo and the steamed mussels. Oh tasty goodness. And let us not forget the vast amount of micro-breweries there are in Belgium. If you want fine beer, this is the place to taste it. I hope to take a tour of a trappist brewery, they are run by monks. I'm not sure what Luxembourg has to offer, but I'm sure that it is worth a day there as well. A
-After that I return to spain for a couple days before heading back to Oxford by the 18th.
I know it is the typical student abroad thing to do, but I am excited. If anyone has ever been to any of these places and has tips, please drop me a line.
Spring break is shaping up to look really cool. I am getting together with my friend Dave Macadam. He is a friend from Gordon who is studying in Madrid this semester. Last summer I told him that since we were both going to be in europe for spring break that we should travel together. Frankly, I didnt think it would happen, for it sounded like one of those plans that would be great but never end up working out. In part that is true, because some other people from Gordon talked about flying out and joining us, and they arent going to now, but Dave and I are still planning on it. Not only are we planning on it, we are acting on it. We bought our plane tickets today.
I get a whole month off for spring break. That is the way it works here, a month off, but then classes extend into mid june. Frankly, that is fine with me. I am going to need a break after this term. But anyhow, here is what I have planned:
-1st week: On the 15th of march I travel to Durham (northern england) to visit my friend kenny who is studying there. I return on the 19th.
-2nd week: I am back in Oxford and I am working the whole week. Earning the cash. Saving up the dough.
-3rd week: still working most of the week. I'll probably go back to spain on the 30th.
-4th week: Spain. See the friends. See the fam... though ironically my mom wont be there that week. sad.
-5th week: This is where it gets good. Dave and I have a plane ticket to Amsterdam on the 6th. Or return flight is for the 14th. What will we do with a week in Holland? Well Amsterdam alone is worth a couple of days from what I hear. It is supposed to be a vibrant city with great sights, museums and nigthlife (and no, I dont mean the red light district....pervs). The cool thing is that we are getting Benelux train passes. They are much like the Eurail passes only they just cover Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg. They give us 6 days of unlimited train travel to be used up in a month. I imagine that after a couple days in Amsterdam we will head down to Belgium, which seems to have even more sights to see than Holland does. Brussels, Brughes, and the Ardenees all seem worth my time, a day or two in each place. I cant wait to eat those tasty belgian french fries with mayo and the steamed mussels. Oh tasty goodness. And let us not forget the vast amount of micro-breweries there are in Belgium. If you want fine beer, this is the place to taste it. I hope to take a tour of a trappist brewery, they are run by monks. I'm not sure what Luxembourg has to offer, but I'm sure that it is worth a day there as well. A
-After that I return to spain for a couple days before heading back to Oxford by the 18th.
I know it is the typical student abroad thing to do, but I am excited. If anyone has ever been to any of these places and has tips, please drop me a line.
Comments
A reading suggestion to get into the 'Benelux mood': Girl with A Pearl Earring or you could watch the movie (starring Scarlett Johansson).
ps. you should visit volendam. it's close to a'dam, and is a nice little fisherman's village with traditional clothing, etc. you can have raw herring there, too.