Object of desire
I am rarely really possessed with the desire to own something. I tend to be fairly indifferent to most material goods. I can do without them. I think we have too much crap crowding our lives anyway. There are a couple of exceptions of course, I like gadgets, though I am not a crazy fanatic by any means. I like food, if you consider that a material good, and I like to eat well. That sort of gives you an idea about what kind of things I tend to really enjoy. I like material goods that are scintillating to the senses. I will pay the extra buck for something that tastes a little better. If I were a millionaire I probably wouldn't have expensive sports cars or massive homes, but I would be very much inclined to eat in fancy restaurants. I like beautiful things. Beautiful to the tongue and to the eye. Beauty is one of the things I hold in highest esteem, as I consider it an essential part to the wellbeing of man's soul. And I mean, soul in the most spiritual way.
That is why I was captivated by something today. The Folio Society is a publishing company/society that was started in the 40s in reaction to the increased economization of the publishing business. More and more paperbacks were comign out back then, as well as cheap editions for the masses. And while I guarantee you that no one in the Society thinks that increased literary availability is a bad thing, they did bemoan that books were losing their edge. Book binding, illustration, embossing, leatherwork... all these things that used to be synonymous with good books became virtually unknown in the publishing business, left only to first editions and special anniversary versions. Which is where the Folio Society comes in. The decided that they were going to make great books again, in the ancien tradition.
I found out about this group when I was walking past a tiny little bookstore that was going out of business today. I stopped because there were several beautiful books sitting in the window. I went in to look around and found many more. Most were classics: milton, homer, donne, dante, etc. But there were also collections of folk tales, fairy tales, norse sagas, hindu myths as well as great children's books like Wind in the Willows, Peter Pan, and many others. All bound in great covers and filled with real quality illustrations on quality paper, each one a work of art.
Of course they are pricey. But you pay for quality and for art. The only thing is that most places don't sell them. I actually think this bookshop wasn't supposed to be selling them. The owner told me that they are sold to members of the society only. Of course, anyone can join, for a fee. But then you are expected to buy a certain amount a year or so. I imagine you will end up spending a couple hundred bucks at least.
maybe when I am out of school, have a real job and a real life... I want I need I want I need.
That is why I was captivated by something today. The Folio Society is a publishing company/society that was started in the 40s in reaction to the increased economization of the publishing business. More and more paperbacks were comign out back then, as well as cheap editions for the masses. And while I guarantee you that no one in the Society thinks that increased literary availability is a bad thing, they did bemoan that books were losing their edge. Book binding, illustration, embossing, leatherwork... all these things that used to be synonymous with good books became virtually unknown in the publishing business, left only to first editions and special anniversary versions. Which is where the Folio Society comes in. The decided that they were going to make great books again, in the ancien tradition.
I found out about this group when I was walking past a tiny little bookstore that was going out of business today. I stopped because there were several beautiful books sitting in the window. I went in to look around and found many more. Most were classics: milton, homer, donne, dante, etc. But there were also collections of folk tales, fairy tales, norse sagas, hindu myths as well as great children's books like Wind in the Willows, Peter Pan, and many others. All bound in great covers and filled with real quality illustrations on quality paper, each one a work of art.
Of course they are pricey. But you pay for quality and for art. The only thing is that most places don't sell them. I actually think this bookshop wasn't supposed to be selling them. The owner told me that they are sold to members of the society only. Of course, anyone can join, for a fee. But then you are expected to buy a certain amount a year or so. I imagine you will end up spending a couple hundred bucks at least.
maybe when I am out of school, have a real job and a real life... I want I need I want I need.
Comments
that's really why i haven't given in to the ipods yet.. i enjoy holding a work of art in my hands, carrying it around with me during the day while i listen to the cd... and records, too, are very enjoyable to hold and look at.
this is why i enjoy bands like godspeed you black emperor and others from the constellation records roster, and alien8 recordings, because not only is the music wonderful but the packaging is a whole separate work of art, many times hand crafted.
down with jewel cases!!