Top 5 jobs

Has anyone ever seen High Fidelity? It is one of my favorite movies of all time. Its both hilarious and painfully poignant. John Cussack's character keeps doing top 5 lists. I happen to be quite fond of lists myself, though I know some people cant stand them. I am constantly making my own "top 5 places I want to be" or "top 5 friends I would take with me to ..." or "top 5 non cheesy romance movies" or "top 5 albums" etc... So today feel like writing my top 5 jobs that I would like to have. These are all ideals, irrespective of my own talents or occupational leanings.

5) English Teacher: I don't know why this seems appealing. Who knows if it is any good in real life, but the idealized version does seem appealing. Teaching something that is not useful per say in the same way that teaching auto mechanics or medicine is useful, but yet teaching something that resonates within the soul. Also teaching creative writing for much the same reason. Infusing people with one thing and seeing what they in turn bring out of themselves. It seems very much a spiritual occupation when viewed in that manner. Of course, this is in the ideal world that this exercise takes place in where all the students would want to learn and where I wouldn't have to deal with them giving me crap. Oh, the long vacations are a plus as well.

4) Musician: I am not even asking to be the greatest musician in anything really. I am not asking to be a Yo Yo Ma, or a Jimi Hendrix or a Caruso. Like Jon Cussack said in the movie, I would be happy just being a member of the backing band for Bob Dylan or heck, even being a studio musician wouldn't be bad, though the performance is what is the most fun. Even a lounge jazz singer.

3) Singer songwriter: Ah, to be able to express feeling in song and then have the luxury of singing them. I can sing pretty well, but my songwriting is sorely lacking, but this is about ideals. I would love to have my own rock band and play my songs and have people listen to them and be moved by them, and I don't just mean moved to tears; moved to dance, to rage, to laugh, anything would be fine as long as it resonates with them. What would I want my music to be like... sometimes I think folky, like Simon and garfunkel or Ryan Adams or Ray Lamontagne. Other times I am thinking Rock... smashing pumpkins meets jeff buckley meets sting. Or some other more niche type, like shoe gazer or electronica.

2) Writer: I'm not asking to win a Nobel Prize for literature or a Pulitzer or anything. I don't have to be the next Philip Roth, or Faulkner, or Joyce, or Saul Bellow. I just want to write something that will be published and people will enjoy reading. Quite frankly I would be just as happy writing children's books, or genre fantasy novels, or being a biographer or a travel writer. Miriam and I were discussing the other night, given the choice to either write good literature that few people will read or writing stuff like Harry Potter or Grisham novels we would probably be happier with the latter.

1) Movie Critic: My top job of all time is a movie critic. I love film more than I love most things of this world. To me it is the ultimate form of entertainment and the ultimate art form (when the two happen in one film it is a very beautiful thing). I initially went to Gordon as a comm major because I wanted to be involved in film, but I think I have decided that I enjoy watching it, analyzing it, being moved by it, and bashing it much more than I would ever enjoy making it. And to be honest, I think I do a pretty good job at it. To be a movie critic is the ultimate job. You get paid to enjoy the artform you love and to then write about the experience. Writing and film in one job, doesn't get much better than that. Plus the extra perks like film festivals, pre-release DVDs and film showings, interviews and meetings with people in the industry. Sweet deal.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You've got some very cool jobs lined up on your Top 5 list. I loved High Fidelity and I love lists.

All of your jobs sound good for you and I think all of them could be possiblilities for you. I know it's a lot harder to break into the entertainment business and all that, but you've got some talent. I would read a book by you, but only if it included your crazy drawings from High School of your monkey-dog and stuff like that.

I've always wanted to be a writer. Lately I've been thinking more along the Ann Lammott line or something, I'm not sure. But Jo has encouraged me to actually start doing it. Keeping records of the stuff I write for later.

P.S. I still have a poem you wrote for me our sophomore year when I got sick. It has all these drawings of doctors and shots and all that jazz. Every now and again I pull it out to be reminded of the good ole days. When you are a famous writer, will you autograph it?
Anonymous said…
haha, I had forgotten about that poem. madness. I think you were probably one of the few that could apreciate my zany humor so I didnt have a problem sharing it.
Anonymous said…
i love high fidelity. it's one of my faves too.

i'm not good at lists because I can't ever put my life that neatly in order, it's too complicated and too layered. Maybe I just don't want to commit to the enumeration by prioritizing.
Anonymous said…
Why does your comments indicator almost always say a number higher than is really on here? For instance, It says 3 now but when I check there are only 2 comments.
Anonymous said…
for some reason it takes a while to show the comments, it registers them but doesnt show em for a while. It annoys the heck out of me, I dont know why it does it.
Anonymous said…
diana mclean the awesomest girl ever
Anonymous said…
Hmm. . .reminds me of a blog I posted on blogspot almost exactly a year ago. Do you remember it? I believe I made a top 5 list of my future vocations.

Psssshhhhh. What a poser.


(Just kidding. I totally <3 you. to infinity. and beyond).

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs