Singing and Reading
I got up this morning and I went over to the Library. David said he wanted to learn about Spain's History before he goes over. So I meandered over to the library to see if I could find anything. I ended up staying downstairs in the History section of the Library for over 2 hours. I know, it is bizarre. I love it down there. The history section of the Library is two floors down into the basement. A musky old book smell lingers in the air, bringing to mind the smell of opening an old closet in a forgotten room in an old persons house. It is a comforting smell, and yet it makes you shiver in anticipation... "Who knows what treasures lie buried in these stacks of literature?"
It was kind of unnerving to find myself so enthralled with the tomes of history that were around me, considering that I switched my major to English yesterday. I wanted to read all of those history books, find out everything about "A History of Bavaria" or "Hadrian: the Restless Emperor." Eventually, I found my way over to the Spanish History section.
There was a fascinating book with a corny title: "Spain is Different!" which compared American and Spanish customs and cultures. It was made, it seemed, as a small handbook for Americans who were going to live in Spain. It explained everything from the work ethic of Spaniards, to the way they viewed relationships, to handshakes and kisses. More than once, while I was reading, I thought "wow, wait! I do that!" Upon further reading I would think "oooh, so THAT is why I do it!" Of course, there were times I would be reading the cultural contrasts and I would find something that I do to be very American. The funny one would be when I did not fit in either one. Ah the joys and pains of multiculturalism.
Eventually, I found a Spanish history book for David, but decided not to check it out, but let him do it... Just in case he decided to give it back to the library in 4 months...
Now I am sitting in my room, waiting for someone to call me back for a Boom mic, so I can do some filming for my documentary. I am blasting Billy Joel and singing at the top of my lungs. It is just one of those times that you get one of those moods, where you just have to sing. I wish Daniel Dixon and Mr. Madsen were here. I remember when we used to just vocalize together and do wacky harmonies. Good times.
I have joined this A Capella group that some friends of mine are starting up. It is a lot of fun, but some of the guys aren't great singers. Don't' get me wrong, they can all sing fine, but not everyone can sing WELL. Some do, some don't. My only concern is that for a group of this sort, the vocals need to fit perfectly... Oh well, at least I have fun. I guess I have gotten snobbish from singing in the Choir (though it also has some people in there that I don't particularly approve of...).
It was kind of unnerving to find myself so enthralled with the tomes of history that were around me, considering that I switched my major to English yesterday. I wanted to read all of those history books, find out everything about "A History of Bavaria" or "Hadrian: the Restless Emperor." Eventually, I found my way over to the Spanish History section.
There was a fascinating book with a corny title: "Spain is Different!" which compared American and Spanish customs and cultures. It was made, it seemed, as a small handbook for Americans who were going to live in Spain. It explained everything from the work ethic of Spaniards, to the way they viewed relationships, to handshakes and kisses. More than once, while I was reading, I thought "wow, wait! I do that!" Upon further reading I would think "oooh, so THAT is why I do it!" Of course, there were times I would be reading the cultural contrasts and I would find something that I do to be very American. The funny one would be when I did not fit in either one. Ah the joys and pains of multiculturalism.
Eventually, I found a Spanish history book for David, but decided not to check it out, but let him do it... Just in case he decided to give it back to the library in 4 months...
Now I am sitting in my room, waiting for someone to call me back for a Boom mic, so I can do some filming for my documentary. I am blasting Billy Joel and singing at the top of my lungs. It is just one of those times that you get one of those moods, where you just have to sing. I wish Daniel Dixon and Mr. Madsen were here. I remember when we used to just vocalize together and do wacky harmonies. Good times.
I have joined this A Capella group that some friends of mine are starting up. It is a lot of fun, but some of the guys aren't great singers. Don't' get me wrong, they can all sing fine, but not everyone can sing WELL. Some do, some don't. My only concern is that for a group of this sort, the vocals need to fit perfectly... Oh well, at least I have fun. I guess I have gotten snobbish from singing in the Choir (though it also has some people in there that I don't particularly approve of...).
Comments